This is an interview with photography expert and raw food recipe artist Susan Powers of Rawmazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions Susan. Enjoy the interview everyone!
1. What brought you to raw food, what’s the story there?
Health issues. I was a gourmet cook, a sommelier and a foodie! Too many years of rich food had left me over-weight, short of breath and with tons of joint pain and other maladies.
2. How do you come up with inspiration for your recipes, and where did you learn to style food and photograph so well?;)
Inspiration for the recipes always comes from traditional food. I think about something I love and then set about making it healthy and raw. The photography just developed itself. I am a bit of a perfectionist so shooting one thing 50 times in the beginning, taught me a lot. I also am a huge researcher and love to learn, so I just read and tried everything I could find!
3. What’s been your experience of being 100% raw vs. not all the way raw?
I feel the best when I am 100% raw but over the last few years have found that it isn’t always practical. I truly am dedicated to helping people no matter where they are along their raw food journey. If I can help people even become aware of eating more raw food, I feel like I have accomplished something.
4. What has been the most life changing aspect of eating more raw food for you?
Having my body feel so much better! I have more energy, less pain and all of the problems I had before have gone away.
5. What one thing would you recommend for someone’s health and well being outside of raw food?
Yoga. For all ages. It is an amazing way to move your body and get rid of stiffness and pain, get in shape and also just simply feel better. It really goes hand and hand with raw food.
6. Do you feel like you’ve got a handle on your life purpose, or is it something that emerges gradually?
Absolutely. For the first time in my life, I feel like I am doing exactly what I should be doing.
7. Tell me about the project you’re most excited about right now, and how people can get their hands on it?
I just released my first book, Rawmazing Desserts. It has simple, gourmet, delicious, healthy recipes with full color photos accompanying each recipe. I am so proud of it and people are loving it! You can find it at RawmazingDesserts.com
8. If you could summarize your experience with raw food, what one word would you use?
Thank you Susan!
I love getting insights from other raw food bloggers and authors. In this case Susan has been an inspiration for me, and she’s got an awesome affinity for photography that just makes us all drool!
If you haven’t checked out her new book yet, do so now!