This is a guest post by Angelina Ignatova and she answers “why eat fruit”.
Maybe you’re just not a fruit person, or you’re wondering why eat fruit when you’re not sure you’re even eating enough vegetables? We’ll address both why eating fruit is important, but also how to eat fruit at the right time to avoid the side effects.
Why eat fruit?
Why do we eat food? It’s a rhetorical question, isn’t it? One can say it’s in order to survive and this would be almost right. Let’s close our eyes to the fact of breatharians’ (prana eaters) existence and move the attention to the delightful world of healthy food.
The most important aspect of a daily diet composition is nutrition – and why eat fruit is precisely because fruit is a big part of this rich palette of choices, called a healthy eating pyramid. Scientists say that if you eat at least five servings of fruit and vegetables a day you may lose weight and also keep the right blood sugar level.
So let’s first understand how our digestion works during the day. When we swallow food, the first stop is our stomach. The gastric juice, containing a small amount of acid, starts to transform the food into the perfect consistency for the next step.
This is a very important part of the process; when a delicious apple or a nut cluster turns into a “smoothie”, because only in this form can all the nutrients be easily absorbed by our intestine.
Imagine that you ate, say, two pieces of toast and some fruit. When the fruit is ready to move to the intestine, the bread (which is more difficult to digest) blocks it and restrains it from moving on.
Gastric juice continues to digest the bread, while the fruit also continues to react with the acid and the mixture “fizzes” even more than it should.
That’s why sometimes when a person eats fruit after a meal they experience bloating, belching and a feeling of heaviness. Fruit is a rich source of fructose, vitamins and fiber. If you eat them properly, they will significantly benefit your body.
Why eat fruit if you’re not eating it at the right times?
Here are some tips to help you take full advantage of fruit:
• Do not eat fruit when your stomach is full! You can do it at any time, but not after a meal.
• After you eat some fruit, wait about 30 minutes before you eat anything else.
• The best time to eat fruit is before the afternoon. They gradually increase the blood sugar level and awake the digestive system after night.
• Why eat fruit when you’ll get a stomach ache? Try not to eat fruit with foods that are hard to digest.
• Bananas and avocados are very heavy, so it’s better not to eat them in the evening. Take a banana or an avocado salad as an afternoon meal when the digestive system is ready for it.
• If possible, prefer fresh fruit to frozen and canned ones because the processed fruit contain lots of sugar and, most likely, artificial preservatives, thus losing most of their nutritional value.
If you used to eat fruit as a dessert and then suffered from unexplained stomach-ache, try to follow this advice and see what happens. You can also find more healthy eating tips and information on this site – http://www.eatinghealthy.org. Stay fit and nature-friendly and don’t forget to wash all the fruits and veggies before enjoying them!
Angelina is a vegetarian and a yoga addicted writer from Aliso Viejo, CA. Her biggest goal is to make everybody be healthy and live happily. Follow her on Twitter at @_eatinghealthy and get more tips that answer why eat fruit!